Transformer oil filtration is a process of taking care of insulating or transformer oil stored in Transformer barrel to maintain the performance of a transformer. In continuously usage of transformer, transformer oil absorbs moisture content, dust particles, gases and aging particles, thus the efficiency of transformer oil reduces.
It is a process of eliminating such impurities from Oil. It is the most important activity in electrical power energy segment. It adds more value in performance of transformer and increase the life of asset.
To increase the efficiency of transformer oil for the effective outcome from the transformer asset this process is important to be done timely and properly. Ignoring the oil filtration may cause failure of transformer, shorter life of asset and great financial lose in repairing or replacing the complete asset
A contaminated and deteriorated oil cause the failure of system so it is important to filter out these impurities from the oil. It increases the dielectric and insulating strength of transformer oil. And also increases the rating requirement of modern requirement and electrical assets.
- Insulator: Transformer oil also calles as insulating oil because of its high insulating property.its basic function is to insulate the transformer.
- Coolant : the another function of Transformer oil is to dissipate the heat of transformer, so that it also act as coolant oil.
Oil filtration process takes place in the following steps
- Raise the temperature : In first step, The temperature of Transformer oil in increase upto 65 Degree C. As the viscosity of oil decreases due to high temperature, then the moisture content and gas content will be separated by this step.
- Second step is the removal of sludge, dust and impurities by the oil filter machine.
- In the degassing chamber the gases content is removed by the dehumidification of Transformer oil.
Frequency of filtration process is depend on the testing results of transformer oil. We perform test for the above mentioned oil parameter in testing process.
- In this process after eliminating the impurities, dust , acid gases from oil,the insulating property of transformer oil is increased.
- Transformer oil filtration prevent the formation of arc called arcing. Prevention of arcing cause lesser breakdown and failure of Transformer.
- Good return of investment asset.
- Long life of transformer.